Re: [Phys-L] problems with the teaching of algebra

This is interesting and Lockhart's piece resonates. I have been working on
a project related to this that is very close to the finish...more on that
in a week or two (I hope). But for now...

Yes, most people never use algebra. But some do. And we start teaching
algebra mostly in grades 7, 8 and 9. If a student does not learn algebra,
there are a bunch of other interesting things that student will never do.
And those grades are still pretty early to be making curriculum decisions
that close doors.

On the other hand, by grades 10, 11, 12 students know a few things. Many
have a more reasonable assessment of their own talents and future
possibilities than we give them credit for. So when they assert in boredom
and frustration that they will never use this stuff, they are not wrong. I
visited a "lower track" algebra 2 class where the students were dutifully
trying to learn about "end behavior" and asymptotes of rational functions.
No context, no motivation...the despair was palpable. I couldn't help
wondering: we only have a finite number of hours left where these students
will be in a math classroom. Is THIS how we want to spend it?

I guess I am arguing for smarter curriculum decisions. But I do think that
the beginnings of algebra should be taught to all. The fundamental
abstraction behind algebra is useful. A student who does not learn at
least that much will also never write computer code or even be able to
handle a spreadsheet formula.