[Phys-L] believing everything they read, or not

On 10/09/2014 02:38 AM, Peter Schoch wrote:
I am finding
this years class quite challenging -- while they are extremely bright, they
won't believe anything I say if it is not in the textbook. I could say
2+2=4 and they would ask me where that is stated in the book. I am finding
it to be very vexing.

1) If the students are motivated to actually read the
text, you're obviously doing something right.

2) Surely there are dozens and dozes of places where the
book contradicts itself and/or contradicts well-established
real-world facts.

Possibly constructive suggestion: Ask the students to
find errors in the text. Give a small reward for mere
typos, and a much larger reward for clearly wrong physics.

Sometimes the more ornery the students, the more they
like this assignment.

It won't completely cure them of their literalist,
fundamentalist tendencies, but it might be a step in
the right direction.