Re: [Phys-L] carbon wars

On 10/6/2014 2:37 PM, John Denker wrote in part:
///The only process I know of for effective long-term carbon sequestration is the weathering of silicate rocks. This was mentioned a couple of days ago under the heading of "carbon sequestration, or not". On 10/04/2014 01:50 PM, I wrote:
CO2 + CaSiO3 --> ... --> CaCO3 + SiO2
CO2 + wollastonite --> limestone + sand

This happens naturally on a timescale of hundreds of
years.
///
John's note brought to mind a delightful property of silica sand, when moistened with water-glass (sodium metasilicate, Na_2 SiO_3 ) and formed to some desired shape such as a foundry casting mold.
When infused with carbon dioxide gas from a bottle (or more slowly from the atmosphere) the sand shape turns into what is essentially sandstone.

Brian Whatcott