Re: [Phys-L] carbon wars

- *From*: "Folkerts, Timothy J" <FolkertsT@bartonccc.edu>
- *Date*: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 20:27:25 +0000

------------------------------

"Folkerts, Timothy J" wrote:

John D says
"You can calculate the amount of carbon that can be dumped
into the environment before it leads to utter catastrophe,
such as the end of civilization as we know it, or possibly
extinction of the human species. This is a finite number,
on the order of 500 gigatons."
The remainder your post is a very interesting discussion of how to deal
with
this starting assumption. I wonder if you could expand on how you come to
this
initial point.
* What specific "utter catastrophe" do you foresee happening after the
next 500
GT of carbon is burned (on the order of 50 years at current rates) that
could
kill the human race?

For a look at consequences, please take a look at *Theme Issue 'Four
degrees and beyond: the potential for a global temperature increase of four
degrees and its implications*' compiled and edited by Mark G. New, Diana M.
Liverman, Richard A. Betts, Kevin L. Anderson and Chris C. West.
http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/369/1934.toc

Best wishes,
Jim
--