Re: [Phys-L] carbon wars

On 10/06/2014 12:37 PM, I wrote:

Bottom line: We absolutely *ARE* dumping C into the
environment without anything working to remove it on
any relevant timescale.

And that's why we have a problem!

To say the same thing the other way: If we really did
have a "myriad of carbon sinks removing carbon from the
atmosphere" then climate change would be a non-issue.

There is some important physics here: Think about the
P-chem (physical chemistry) i.e. the thermodynamics:
The reason that fossil carbon fuels are valuable is
that they are relatively high-energy (weakly-bound)
molecules ... in contrast to CO2 which is a low-energy
(tightly-bound) molecule.

If you want to sequester the CO2 while upholding the
conservation laws (conservation of energy and conservation
of carbon nuclei), then
A) You can produce some molecule with even lower energy
than CO2, of which there are not many, or
B) You can expend energy to perform the sequestration,
which detracts from the effective fuel value of the
fossil carbon.

Either way, sequestration adds substantially to the cost
of fossil carbon fuel. Any halfway rational public policy
would require the carbon fuel industry to internalize
these costs. Doing so would make renewable energy
dramatically more competitive.