Re: [Phys-L] "Climate science is not settled"

I avoided barging in, not wanting to add fuel to the fire and hoping that the non-scientific propaganda here will die out. Yet the latest salvo of inane excuse forces me to react. I will try to make it brief.

1. The excuse that "no science is truly settled" is precisely that -- an excuse. There is a big difference between some *details* of a theory being unclear, and having essentially ALL existing climate models unable to accommodate the 15+ years temperature hiatus. Many people here -- correctly -- poke fun at people arguing that "evolution is just a theory" because -- correctly again -- essentially everything of explanatory nature in science is "just a theory." Yet here they seem happy to engage in an identical linguistic charade from the other direction ... "nothing is settled." I call it rubbish and deceit.

Koonin clearly writes: 'They are not "minor" issues to be "cleaned up" by further research. Rather, they are deficiencies that erode confidence in the computer projections.' One wouldn't know it from reading the responses here.

2. The pretense that since almost everyone agrees that human-generated CO2 causes *some* amount of additional warming, the precautionary principle implies that we'd better do *something* and the sooner the better, almost independent of the cost.

This is wrong-headed simply because if the natural climate variability is much higher than the GHG-induced one, not only we have no chance of significantly affecting the climate, but we even have no idea of its *direction of temperature change*, since it is clear now that NO current climate model reflects the empirical reality. In other words, it may well be that the world is heading towards global cooling and reducing CO2 will actually acerbate this change. The fact that we poorly understand and model cloud cover formation and oceans' role -- that are responsible easily for over 90% of earth temperature -- is not a side issue. Koonin acknowledges this, yet the regular zealots here just gloss over it.

3. Finally, Koonin's "That uncertainty need not be an excuse for inaction" is taken here as a justification for continuing the political push that we have seen for the last decades. "[A]ccelerating the development of low-emissions technologies and in cost-effective energy-efficiency measures" does not mean imposing harsh carbon taxation and pushing for low-emission technologies whatever their costs, except in the minds of bigots. It is a call for more thoughtful R&D rather than for mindless and expensive panic and taxation.

Koonin -- correctly -- ends with this: "The political and diplomatic spheres are best suited to debating and resolving such questions, and misrepresenting the current state of climate science does nothing to advance that effort."

He is right. The discussion is, and should be, a political one, and pretending -- here and elsewhere -- that climate science is mature enough, and unequivocal enough, to drive "objectively and unequivocally" to particular policies is pseudo-scientific charlatanism.

In that spirit ... http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2556

Ze'ev