Re: [Phys-L] "Climate science is not settled"

Having just used the 2000 video from NOVA/FRONTLINE, "What's Up with the Weather" as I have for the past 14 years in my energy class, let me offer the final comments of three of the participants that I think relate to this thread.

Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research offers that he believes that 50 years from now (now being 2000) we should have a pretty good handle on where the Climate Change will fall between the 'Good for you' and 'End of the World' model predictions (both of which have non-zero probabilities). However, he is not sure we will know this in 20 years. It is now 14 years on, and I think his prediction is pretty much correct.

Marty Hoffert of New York University (my favorite in the video) offers that while we are in the FOSSIL ERA and while such fuels might last another 200 or more years, Climate Change is forcing us to find alternatives for such in the 21st Century rather than having to deal with this in the 22nd or even 23rd Centuries. At the same time he has offered the statistics that the world (2000) was consuming energy at the rate of 10 Terrawatts but the pressures from the developing world (China, India, Brazil) could push the demand to 30-40 Terrawatts by the mid to late 21st Century. A major portion of the video deals with the alternatives and reasonably (I think) shows that it is very difficult to see how the renewables, even in combination and with the addition of nuclear, could be capable of handling that kind of demand. So while we would actually like to reduce the fossil contribution to less than 10 TW, how can we possibly produce 30 or more TW from carbon free sources.

Henry Jacoby or MIT finally offers that this is a very difficult problem (curbing Climate Change while maintaining and expanding our Industrial, Technological societies for a world population of 9 billion or so) and he is not sure we can find a solution, but feels (obviously) that it is important that we try.

Dr. Gerald Miller in the more recent video SWITCH (recommended) offers that he believes that we will add several degrees to the climate because of fossil fuel use and will learn to deal with it because there is really no alternative in the developing world. They can't afford alternate technologies (even if available) and the developed world can't afford to subsidize them--his opinion.

All of this speaks to the situation that the legitimate uncertainties about the severity of _consequences_ of carbon induced climate change coupled with the obvious connection between energy consumption and economic well-being (with all the ramifications there..both positive and negative) makes political decision making on the issue very difficult. The Jacoby and Miller statements are quite pessimistic but probably fairly realistic.

rwt