[Phys-L] portable tesla coil repair

I have an older model Flinn portable tesla coil.. Brown Bakelite (or plastic) cylinder with a metal tip on one end and a screw adjuster on the other. It will unscrew in the middle but won't come apart because there are wires connecting the two halves.

My problem: the screw on the back doesn't adjust the spark any more. The unit will spark, but it's not strong, plus I can't adjust it to zero spark either.

Can this be repaired in-house? If so, what is the procedure? Thanks.

Bill N