Re: [Phys-L] Something to ponder and worry over

It is venim against science deniers. Read the referenced letter about how
science is being abused. True on the Dem side people are buying into
supposedly natural ideas such as not getting their kids vaccinated for fear
of discredited articles about autism and vaccines. But they are not pushing
creationism or denial of global warming into the schools. The last
reference pointed out that the NC Rep. dominated lege has passed a law
against mentioning sea level rise, especially as it relates to global
warming. This is something new in the late 20th and early 21st century and
smacks of the way that Russia denied good biological science and bought into
Lysenko.

Since nobody has been able to come up with prominent conservative pols who
endorse evolution or the established climate science, we must conclude there
are none. Come on rise to the challenge and prove me wrong. Where are the
prominent Republicans who say that this science denial is nonsense and that
it is killing our competitiveness. Come up with names! They may endorse it
privately in their homes, but never in public because they are afraid that
somebody will challenge and unseat them. The venim is only political
because one side has bought into actively pushing science denial in schools
and passed laws against good science. They consider global warming to be a
liberal plot. In the 50s, 60s, 70s science was equally accepted and funded
in a bipartisan fashion, but no more.

When liberal friends start saying that high fructose corn syrup is very bad,
I point out that all sugars metabolize the same way and that recent research
has confirmed this. So fructose, sucrose... It doesn't matter if it is a
high dose of refined sugar. If they tell me vaccines cause autism, I tell
them that research is discredited. I will tell them that research has not
shown any different health outcome for people who eat all "organic" foods.
But such individual misconceptions are not being officially pushed in public
schools.

We are sticking our heads into the sand when we try to ignore this reality.
It is real and it can be used against us. It is distorting the teaching of
biology, and topics realating to the climate. It can be used against other
things even closer to physics. It is preventing us from taking rational
steps to prevent future possible catastrophe. The US is the only major
industrial nation with this problem. It isn't a problem in Europe, Asia,
Antarctica, Australia, India or SW Asia as far as I know.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John is losing his grip. It took him a solid hour and 24
minutes to inject his political venom into the discussion - a
little off his game this morning.

Bob at PC