Re: [Phys-L] computer programming for kids

As usual I will give one of my biased opinions.

Elements of programming should begin in elementary school, but not as a
formal progamming language in the usual sense. It should be done with
devices where you can tell it to do various functions and then sequence the
functions. But it needs to be done in a guided inquiry fashion, NOT as a
series of lectured stuff.

Certainly in HS progamming should be done, but again a guided inquiry
program which stresses using logical skills is what is needed. Actually
some progamming is already introduced as they learn about using their fancy
calculators. Programming can be taught using inquiry and because students
often have not experienced a progamming course, they accept it more readily
than in a science course where they expect memorize and regurgitate.

Should every student be taught programming??? Probably not. It is a good way
to get them into thinking more logically, but if it is taught using a
standard book approach, it will have no effect on their thinking. Research
has shown that the ability to use propositional logic is not enhanced by
standard computer science courses as evaluated by the PTT (propositional
logic test).

Just as not all students need or will ever use algebra, there are certainly
students who will never use or need programming. And teaching it in the
usual fashion will not enhance their thinking, so they would be better off
taking a math modeling course. Actually learning how to do calculations
using a spread sheet is more valuable.

Actually the most valuable thing that can be used with students is "Thinking
Science" and "Thinking Maths" at age 10+, no matter what other courses they
are exposed to.

The language for teaching computing is irrelevant at the intro level. Basic
is as good as any and basic scripting is free and readily available.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

This is not exclusively a physics question, but it is related.

Should every kid learn how to program computers in public schools?
In what grade(s)?
Using what language(s)?

What other technology skills should kids learn in public schools?

I'm going to a state task force meeting this week to discuss
these questions. Thought I'd poll this audience first.

Thanks,
Larry