Re: [Phys-L] Indicators ofquality teaching (Was:MOOC:EdxOffers Mechanics course byProf.Walter Lewin)

Laws has Workshop Physics, so she uses her own "labs", while Thornton and
Sokoloff use RTP. And of course they use the FMCE because they invented it.
But at some point they have used the FMCE to see how it compares to the
FMCE. They say that the tests measure the same thing. I also did this by
giving both back to back and then plotting the scores vs each other. They
fell closely on the same line.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I just spoke with Laws, Sokoloff & Thornton about this. I may
be slightly off the mark, but here is my memory of the conversation...
They have a lecture session, recitation, and lab session. Of
the 3 lectures per week, 1 includes ILDs. The labs are run
using RealTime Physics.
Their first test (the pre-test) is post lecture, but pre-
ILDs and pre-real-time-physics-lab. That alleviates some of
the challenge associated with terminology.
They agree that the fmce has almost no terminology
challenges, and that the circuit concept test would have some
if done prior to lecture.
That is my memory of the conversation (at a workshop this
weekend), but I believe it to be accurate.

Have a good one.

Paul.

...::. Sent from a touchscreen.::...
Paul Lulai