[Phys-L] re Russian Meteor Contrail(s)

[Phys-L] Russian Meteor Contrail(s) Russian Meteor Contrail(s)

* /From/: Chuck Britton <cvbritton@mac.com <mailto:cvbritton%40mac.com>>
* /Date/: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:52:57 -0500

One of the (many) videos of the recent meteor hit clearly shows two parallel
counter-rotating contrails.

To create a contrail - wouldn't the meteor have to contain water?
I'll assume that this (internal) water caused it to explode into two (major)
pieces that were then counter-rotating to conserve L.

I don't see how humidity in the air (per se) could cause a (persistent)
contrail.

Or am I overlooking something?

TIA
**************************

The 'contrail' subject header prejudges the question, in my view.
That is, if you equate contrails with water such as that
evolved from jet engines.

The first air explosion of the bolide was preceded by 5 seconds of
illumination 'brighter than the Sun' and a long prior descent at
15 to 20 km/sec. We can confidently suppose that the bolide's
temperature was extremely high, and judging from a pebble fall
associated with the event, the meteorite seems to have been
a metal/stone mix.

It's not unreasonable to suppose that particle ablation from
frictional heating, and possibly from exothermic reactions provided
the basis for the vapor trails

Brian Whatcott Altus OK