[Phys-L] Barriers to Better K-12 Math Education: Poverty and the Inadequate Undergraduate Education of Prospective K-12 Teachers

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "Barriers to Better K-12 Math Education: Poverty and the Inadequate Undergraduate Education of Prospective K-12 Teachers" [Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?" [Hake (2013)] at <http://bit.ly/10sYmKl>, Ed Wall on Math-Learn at <http://yhoo.it/W6fn5y> bemoaned the "dumbed down elementary school mathematics education curriculum." [Non-subscribers can access Wall's post by taking a minute to "Join this List" at the Math-Learn archives <http://yhoo.it/fF6D9w>].

I argue that the dumbing down of elementary school mathematics in the U.S. is not due to Math Education Researcher's preoccupation with the secondary years, as implied by Wall, but primarily because of "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement" [Hake (2011b)] at <http://bit.ly/tUU65W>; and secondarily because U.S. Mathematics Education Researchers (MER's) have not devoted enough attention to the POSTsecondary years, as dramatized by an excerpt from a Galilean dialogue in "Re: Math Education Research" [Hake (2003)] at <http://bit.ly/LKpg4G>. *********************************************

To access the complete 16 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/V6azOZ>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>

". . .I will look primarily at our traditions and practices of early schooling through the age of twelve or so. There is little to come after, whether of joys or miseries, that is not prefigured in these years."
- David Hawkins in "The Roots of Literacy" p. 3.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by http://bit.ly/ and accessed on 16 Jan 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "Barriers to Better K-12 Math Education: Poverty and the Inadequate Undergraduate Education of Prospective K-12 Teachers," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/V6azOZ>. Post of 16 Jan 2013 15:40:33 -0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/SPOkQ8> with a provision for comments.

Hawkins, D. 2001. "The Roots of Literacy." University of Colorado Press. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/h3cbtf>.