Re: [Phys-L] Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?

With no apologies for cross posting - see e.g. "Cross-Posting - Synergistic or Sinful?" [Hake (2005)].

If you reply to this long (9 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

In response to my post "Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th_Grade?" [Hake (2013)], math guru <http://bit.ly/Xbd0ye> Dave Renfro (2013a) in his Math-Teach post wrote [bracketed by lines "RRRR. . . "; slightly edited; my insert at ". . . .[[insert]]. . . . "]:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
In my previous post "Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th_Grade?" [Renfro (2013b)] I wrote:

". . . the fact that Hans Ohanian, author of "Einstein's Mistakes" [Ohanian (2009)], thought to recommend Courant's book to his wife, literature major Susan Ohanian <http://www.susanohanian.org>, strikes me as really naive and out-of-touch. I'd like to say I'm stunned to find that a Ph.D. in physics would think Courant's book was appropriate for her, but unfortunately I'm not."

It occurs to me that it's easy to make a hit-and-run criticism like this, and a bit difficult to offer an appropriate alternative. To this end, I think the following books would have worked better for her:

1. Silvanus Phillips Thompson, "Calculus Made Easy", 2nd edition, 1914. FREE at
<http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf>.

2. David Berlinski, "A Tour of the Calculus", 1997. <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0679747885>
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I reference "A Tour of the Calculus" [Berlinski (1997)] in my post "Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?"

In my opinion, some other calculus texts (had they been available at the time) that might have worked better than Courant's book [e.g. Courant & John (1998)] for Susan Ohanian are:

3. "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" Kline (1998).

4. "Basic Calculus: From Archimedes to Newton to it's Role in Science" [Hahn (1998).

5. "Applied Calculus" [Hughes-Hallett et al. (2009)].

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>

"Mathematics is the gate and key of the sciences. . . .Neglect of mathematics works injury to all knowledge, since he who is ignorant of it cannot know the other sciences or the things of this world. And what is worse, men who are thus ignorant are unable to perceive their own ignorance and so do not seek a remedy."
Roger Bacon (Opus Majus, bk. 1, ch. 4) <http://bit.ly/dzjbWv>

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 15 Jan 2013.]
Berlinski, D. 1997. "Tour of the Calculus." Random House, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/ZLSHJo>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/11sZIUv>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. An expurgated Google book preview is online at <http://bit.ly/UI4kPC>.

Courant, R. & F. John. 1998. "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis," Vol. 1, Springer, originally published in 1965. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/MqvtkP> note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.

Hahn, A.J. 1998. "Basic Calculus: From Archimedes to Newton to it's Role in Science." Springer. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/LaakMh>. For a review see the late physicist David Halliday (1999).

Hake, R.R. 2005. "Cross-Posting - Synergistic or Sinful?" Post of 1 Nov 2005 08:37:12-0800 to
ITFORUM and AERA-L. Online at on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/arFlkd>.

Hake, R.R. 2013. "Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/10sYmKl>. Post of 13 Jan 2013 16:52:01-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/RQkucu> with a provision for comments.