Re: [Phys-L] more about basic DC circuits

  I want to add a few more comments to the so-called "Law of Conservation of Current" by P. Knight. A conventional understanding of conservation law for a characteristics of an isolated system is its constancy IN TIME regardless of processes within the system  which may change the system beyond recognition in all other respects. Even from this formal viewpoint, Night's statement "The current is the same at all points in a current carrying wire" is not conservation law because it shifts the definition from temporal domain to spacial domain. Physically, this statement holds only as a very special case of DC in a stationary state. Otherwise it is just wrong as has already been shown in this conversation. We could add another couple of simple examples. When we charge a capacitor in an RC-circuit, even maintaining current constant within the wire, there is no current between the capacitor plates. The current flow is interrupted at the plates. In such cases
Night's statement can be remedied by introducing the "displacement current", but the latter contains explicit contribution of varying electric field. Another example does not even need a C-unit - we can just use a simple uniform R-circuit under an AC of sufficiently high frequency, such that the corresponding wavelength is less than the size of the circuit. In this case the physical current will not be the same at all points of the wire, and accordingly, the wire itself will not remain electrically neutral - its different stretches will have different charge, varying with time. This shows that Night's second statement: "The law of conservation of current is really a practical application of the law of conservation of charge" - is also generally wrong. In most cases the conservation of charges DEMANDS the current to be inhomogeneous even in a homogenous wire (Gauss' law, or its differential formulation - the continuity equation).

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT