Re: [Phys-L] physics with and/or without calculators

On 2013, Dec 19, , at 09:24, Todd K. Pedlar <todd.pedlar@luther.edu> wrote:

It is certainly hard to change the culture and to thwart their expectations
that they can use calculators on an exam. That said, I have become
convinced that calculators are an awful crutch that disables many students,
preventing them from growing significantly in their mathematical
understanding.

It may be hard, but helping students grow up and leave the cradle is
something we as educators need to be willing to do. If my students whine
about having to give algebraic rather than numerical answers to test
problems, I generally tell them that they can find some other course to
take.

I think that’s a bit harsh. AND in eighth grade (ca 1951) I was given a circular slide rule (still have it). As a result I only many years later memorized the usual times table —still must think. (tho I did for 2^n, a result of radiation scalers! ca 1957)

I had (have) a linear one by which I’d make semi log-graphs until I acquired a collection of graphing paper.

bc remembers seeing a many place rule in a basement at Caltech where a friend showed me his Mitchel-Cavendish g experiment. (ca 1956)