Re: [Phys-L] sharing an activity re circular motion free-body diagrams

Nice! Thanks for sharing! Of all the things I teach, FBDs are probably the
most difficult for kids. I just finished teaching this topic. It's just F
= ma applied to circles, and they just had Newton's Laws. Still difficult
for many.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Hi All,

I gave my students this assignment today:

http://www.holmdel.k12.nj.us/faculty/pkeller/word%20files/circular%20motion%20free%20body%20diagrams.pdf

We have not started to discuss this material yet, so this was their
first look. And I must say, I enjoyed listening to them working in
groups to puzzle this out. After about 20 minutes, I gave them a hint:
I revealed that the pairs all have the same free body diagrams.

Mostly, I am sharing because my students seemed to enjoy working on
these and they certainly discussed them enthusiastically. So if any of
you can use this, feel free. But also, there were two that gave the
most trouble. One I expected, but the other surprised me. I'll let you
guess...

Phil