Re: [Phys-L] unification or not .... was: standard DC circuits

On 11/24/2013 3:22 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
On 2013, Nov 24, , at 09:46, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

I've been thinking some more about this.

The smart way to handle introductory circuits goes
like this:

I think the difference is B. Sher. is interested is “basic cause” while JD is more prob. solving. Perhaps the diff. between physics and engineering?

I had never thought of electrostatics driving circuit theory and find it fascinating. It has led me to think of a test.

A cap with min. fringing (guard rings?) connecting wires from the centers, vertical for a great distance, large loop to switch and fast ‘scope. Will the discharge be slower than the same cap with the wires connected at the edges?

bc

p.s. more thought, not testable —before even connecting to the switch there will be a PD between the wires. Perhaps make the switch at on of the plate centers?

Transforming that thought experiment to a highly testable form, bc would have
little difficulty (I suspect) in deciding which DC waveform collapses more quickly:
two 50 ft coax cables, open at the distal ends, and connected at the proximal ends both shield and inner to a 9 volt battery and a 50 ohm resistor in series
OR
one 100 ft coax cable open at the distal end, and connected to a 9 volt battery by a 50 ohm resistor at the proximal end.
Both of which batteries are abruptly disconnected while the proximal voltage waveform is monitored.

This is as far from a thought experiment as you could imagine.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK