Re: [Phys-L] Energy & Bonds

On 2013, Nov 14, , at 14:44, Bruce Sherwood <Bruce_Sherwood@ncsu.edu> wrote:

On the other hand, I showed that a semiclassical picture provides a
reasonable justification for the harmonic oscillator model. I can't now
identify it, but I think I've heard of a theorem by Feynman that once
you've used quantum mechanics to get the charge distribution, you can then
do classical E&M with that charge distribution. In the model of the
hydrogen atom I discussed, the (crudely) uniform-density sphere of electron
charge comes from quantum mechanics, after which it's legitimate to do
simple classical E&M to see that the induced dipole moment is proportional
to the applied electric field.

Bruce

Should one not attempt to reconcile classical theory w/ QM when the classical theory agrees w/ experiment?

This is what B.S. had done?

bc used Drude and Drude-Lorentz in his disst. (IHRC, being QM challenged)