Re: [Phys-L] Energy & Bonds

On 2013, Nov 14, , at 13:33, Bruce Sherwood <Bruce_Sherwood@ncsu.edu> wrote:

cut

The nuclear shell model is a nice example implying the existence of
well-defined nucleons in a nucleus.

In this context I'm not sure what the message is, but note the apparent
existence of alpha particles in nuclei, as seen in alpha decay (but on the
other hand you don't see proton or neutron or deuteron or triton decay).

Bruce

Somewhere in the outer reaches of my "brain", I remember there being a reason (lower mass maybe?)*. Curiously, several diff. model yield some agreement (liquid drop**, shell, Mottelson's,*** et alia?).

bc remembers exercise calculation the barrier height from the alpha spectrum. (ca. 1957)

* Only the combo of P and Ns have sufficient energy to tunnel?

** A friend has made a still camera capture of colliding water drops showing fission. Did the liquid drop proponents numerically (or w/ ODEs) model this in hydrodynamic detail?

*** Note assumption of "distinct" particles in the nucleus.

The Bohr-Mottelson Collective Model of Nuclear Structure

http://www.applet-magic.com/bohraage.htm