Re: [Phys-L] "the" system versus "the" environment ... or not

The engineers use something that they call a control mass and something they call a control volume in thermodynamics. I think they correspond to what you refer to as a system and a region respectively. I think they both come in handy and you don't have to unlearn one to learn the other. I think the system (control mass) view is more convenient when you have moving boundaries with no material flow, such as a collision of two objects where it can be convenient to call the two objects the system, or in the case of a closed cylinder of gas in which the volume occupied by the gas is changing because the position of a piston is changing, where you might call the gas the system; but the region (control volume) point of view is far more convenient if you are analyzing a turbine or the compressor in an air conditioner.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:28 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: [Phys-L] "the" system versus "the" environment ... or not

On 10/30/2013 02:33 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
We also make a big investment in the notion of "system" and how the
choice of system affects the form of the energy equation. Just last
week I reviewed a paper that was quite garbled, specifically due to
the author never using the word "system" anywhere in the paper.

That's tricky. That falls into the catagory one might call pedagogical moral
hazard. That is, there is a temptation to do things in the short term that we
will regret in the longer term.

.
.
.