Re: [Phys-L] "the" system versus "the" environment ... or not

We use the modeling method of drawing system schemas (perhaps the idea originated elsewhere, but I havent seen where).
It helps us with n3l interactions, making sure we dont include both mgh and work to raise it (no double billing), and an awareness of what is working on what.
From schemas to bar charts to equations.

.:. Sent from a touchscreen .:.
Paul Lulai

-------- Original message --------
From: Bruce Sherwood <Bruce_Sherwood@ncsu.edu>
Date: 10/30/2013 6:38 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: "Phys-L@Phys-L.org" <Phys-L@phys-l.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] "the" system versus "the" environment ... or not

Not an unreasonable point to make, John, but I would think that when one
encounters the more complex situations you describe it would be a huge win
that the student already had a firm grasp on system/environment, and the
experience of analyzing various situations with different choices of
system, and that it would not be difficult to build on that foundation to
consider multiple systems/regions.

Bruce