Re: [Phys-L] defining energy

I wonder what is a good graphical way to represent this? For many energy things we introduce the concepts with energy bar charts. Perhaps it is time to try to use energy bar charts with bonding and energy?
[:]
Energy Level diagrams are often very effective. Though they can miss the "configurational" aspect often associated with the PE of a system.

Maybe energy wells would work as well.
[:]
People like to superpose an energy level diagram on top of a graph of the PE, whether it be wells or step functions. I like doing this, but it risks students missing the fact that it is really a superposition of two diagrams.