Re: [Phys-L] defining energy

On 10/30/2013 09:30 AM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:

Is it that you're alluding to the fact that the "translational
kinetic energy" 0.5M_sys*v_cm^2 is different from the sum of all the
kinetic energies of the particles that make up the system,
sum(0.5m_i*v_i^2)?

Yes.

Or is there more to your comment than I'm understanding?

Nothing more. I'm widely known for my keen grasp of the obvious.

In a different sub-thread: