Re: [Phys-L] defining energy

If you just 'define' work as "the means by which energy is transferred from one object to another and/or from one form to another" it is a little cleaner. Defining energy is still a problem--the 'ability to do work' definition is pretty good for my world/national energy course, but ultimately it boils down to a bookkeeping system for keeping track of properties of nature that are conserved but moved and transformed by work. The Feynman 'Dennis the Menace' story is useful at this level (and beyond), and appears in Volume//one of the lectures but also in the Kirkpatrick and Francis textbook. I'm sure someone will provide an incomprehensible (to 11th graders) more formal definition! ;-)

rwt