[Phys-L] teaching credentials +- qualifications +- administration

Good afternoon
I am from the (very, very) old school- back when in the Commonwealth of PA
colleges/universities were originally started to train teachers. I have a
degree in Education with concentrations/majors in Biology and "general
science". We were taught how to teach and took our content classes with
those that had majors in the subjects. But I didn't stop there - I went on
to earn my MEd in Education (with a concentration in science education) and
a doctorate in Science Education.

I supplemented my content education with lots of courses and NSF courses
every chance I could. I read Science and everything else I could - our
periodical subscriptions each year ran into the thousands of dollars.

When I taught in NJ (after retiring in PA, going into higher education and
then returning to HS teaching in another state) the only reason I could
teach and be considered "highly qualified" was because of my doctorate. In
my own state my training in the Commonwealth system no longer was considered
sufficient by the same Commonwealth. That was

I am now retired, still sub where hubby teaches HS (he, too, left HE to
return to HS) and adjunct at local universities teaching science education
methods courses.

I realize that grades are important - I worked full time while a student at
college (my dad was out of work and I paid my way - tuition and room and
board) and with all my science lab courses I am sure my grades were a
reflection of my working. I had friends and knew people that had 4.0
averages- and other high GPAs. Out of all these people I am the only one
who taught almost 40 years in the public school systems - in inner city
(Pittsburgh), upper income districts and modern suburban school districts
(actually right next to Pennsbury, where Yardley children attend). Most of
the higher GPA people washed out because they couldn't handle all the things
that go on in a classroom... couldn't/wouldn't reach the students and make
learning exciting.

When I teach methods courses I try to make teaching "real" - not the
textbook type of education that isn't in any school. I always start out on
the first night of class sharing with my students that I never want to hear
that teaching is "something to fall back on" - teaching must be a first
choice because it will drain every drop of energy out of you and when you
think you have nothing left to give you will need to give more. But along
with that there is the most rewarding experience you could ever have.