Re: [Phys-L] teaching credentials +- qualifications +- administration

Absolutely correct (about the relative ease of hiding a lack of subject knowledge vs sufficient control of the classroom) Most principals are just happy to have a a teacher who shows initiative and runs a well organized, well disciplined classroom. If he knows some physics, too, that's a bonus. Now, I'm talking about the inner city, but this hold true for many middle class suburban schools as well. The upper-class, wealthy suburbs may be different, but I maintain, as Philip seems to say, and BC will admit, that, in the city and mid-socioeconomic level districts, classroom maintenance and control is as much or more vital to success than a rich knowledge of the subject.