Re: [Phys-L] teaching credentials +- qualifications +- administration

I mentored the alternate teacher route in an inner city district in NJ for several years before retirement. Some turned out to be successful teachers and it was usually because they could relate to students alongside their subject knowledge. In fact, they found that HOW to teach was more important than WHAT to teach. Physics was fortunate in that we had no state mandated test. The principal at the time had a positive attitude toward science even though he enjoyed watching me and the alternate teachers do our 'thing'. (and later a new woman principal with the same attitude toward science). The two alternate route people I mentored did just fine and went on to nice careers... they didn't leave after 5 years as so many new teachers do.

One alternate route man, however, was a complete disaster... he entered with a PhD in Environmental Chemistry and was hired as the new 'golden boy' in the chem department. OMG... when the mentors were there showing him the ropes it was fine, but when he transitioned into solo teaching the classroom was a war zone... kids running around, food containers all over... the kids just knew they were in charge. This man came in with the attitude that with his PhD he could simply walk in and the teenagers would be in thrall of his knowledge of chemistry. We all tried mightily to assist him, but with our own workloads we couldn't babysit this guy all the time, even with two mentors and the assistance from the supervisor and the department chairman. He lasted until Thanksgiving break and disappeared, never to return. He probably ended up in some industry somewhere badmouthing our school and the teaching profession.