Re: [Phys-L] Sig Figs homework from my 7th grader

On 10/10/2013 12:04 PM, Dan Beeker wrote:
No disrespect to John Denker. His efforts to codify uncertainties is
masterful. But it is almost 150 pages. No way can a teacher devote
the time needed to cover all of that material and certanly not in a
high school or lower setting. The material is simply too much and too
advanced for students to follow.

In the web document in question, the first three sentences tell
you everything you need to know in 7th grade, and many grades
after that.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/uncertainty.htm

OTOH ... I see some merit in the criticism, and in response
I have added a prominent notice, so that if readers make it
past the first three sentence, they know it is probably safe
to skip the rest of the document.

For a verrry wide range of applications, all you need to know is:
1. Use many enough digits to avoid unintended loss of significance.
2. Use few enough digits to be reasonably convenient.