Re: [Phys-L] strange things in chem book

On Sep 16, 2012, at 8:06 PM, jbellina wrote:

I suspect that part of the problem is the public notion that science somehow should give us truth, so theories are ideas about the world, and when they are proven true, they become laws.

The trick then is how to get the public to understand the provisional nature of science in a framework where they expect it to be truthful, since in that context, provisional would mean untrustworthy. It is a tough nut to crack.

That's my whole point... we must start by refuting their absolutes with our own.

(again... please get into the habit of deleting the previous posts before they become 99% of the download.)