Re: [Phys-L] absolute magnitude

In other words, if the sun were 10 pc away it would be invisible from Pomona and barely visible from (parts of) Ogden. If it were 100 pc away, it wouldn't even be close to naked-eye visibility. And yet nearly half of the naked-eye stars, including plenty of the bright named stars, are more than 100 pc away! As it turns out, only a small handful of the naked-eye stars are less luminous than the sun. On the other hand, about 90% of all stars are less luminous than the sun. Depending on the sample that you want to compare to, I think you could defend a standard anywhere from 1 pc to 1000 pc. But yeah, it makes sense to choose something in that range, and of course, powers of 10 are convenient.

The sky's a lot darker in Ogden than in Southern California. I suspect it's a pretty rare night when we see many more than 400 stars!

Seriously, though, I still suspect that the choice has to do with wanting the range of absolute magnitudes to line up in some reasonable way with the range of visual magnitudes. Note for instance that the absolute magnitude of the Sun--a pretty average star--is 4.8, which also happens to be a pretty average magnitude for so-called "visible stars." If one were to use, say, 100 parsecs as the standard distance for evaluating absolute magnitudes, then the Sun would (if I've done the calculation correctly) come in at something closer to a not-even-close-to-visible 10.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona