From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Tuesday, 17 July 2012 7:24 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Fwd: [PTSOS] spacetime simulator: flexible conduit?

On 07/17/2012 02:38 PM, Ken Caviness wrote in part:

JD, could you explain the statement the prediction would be the same
if the trampoline were deformed upward instead of downward?

OK ...

A large mass on the trampoline curves the surface around it, but (I
think) not the right amount, not with the correct r-dependence.

My point is that a profoundly important concept -- namely geodesics -- is represented in the model, but represented quite wrongly. Categorically, conceptually, and qualitatively wrongly.

In contrast, I am not interested in the possibility that the trampoline
might be quantitatively not-quite-correct as to the details of the r-
dependence. I am not concerned that this-or-that advanced concept
might be missing.

Geodesics follow the straightest available path on the curved surface.
A geodesic responds the same way to upward curvature as to downward curvature, as you can demonstrate by applying masking tape to the inside and outside of a thin, curved bowl. I have a thin steel mixing bowl that came with a Kitchenaid mixer that works nicely. If you match the initial conditions, the two tape trajectories will track rather nicely.

It should be obvious that the masking tape demo works in the weightless environment of the space station, since it depends only on the *curvature* of the bowl ... whereas the trampoline trick depends not on the curvature of the trampoline but rather the /slope/ and indeed the projection of the earth's /gravity/ along the slope.

My point is that everything you learn using the trampoline demo will have to be unlearned before you can understand anything about the real mechanism of curved spacetime. A simple model that is *much* more faithful to the actual physics is here:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/geodesics.htm