Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

Re the Buckley Amendment:

When teaching large physics courses I would post on my course web site a "Top Ten" list of the highest scores after every exam, using real names. Some other faculty felt this was dangerous, but that didn't stop me. If any administrator had ever complained I would have said I would stop when the football team quit naming their quarterback or other star player.

Year after year, no one ever complained; rather, some students thanked me for doing this. Then one day a student did complain. His score had been totaled incorrectly (even in big courses I used written exams, hand-graded, so there would occasionally be errors on my part), and he was sure he was now in the Top Ten, but I hadn't corrected the web posting to reflect his new grade. So I gladly did so.

At the end of the course I also posted the Top Ten for the final grades. Sometimes, due to ties, the Top Ten became the Top Eleven or Twelve, etc.