[Phys-L] Landau and Lifschitz: statistical physics v.5

Dear all and particularly those involved with thermodynamics,

I am looking to re-educate myself in thermodynamics and statistical physics. I have had a change in direction from optics and need to get up to speed within a year. Is the above book a good start? Is it free from any major physics errors? If not, can anyone recommend a good book?

Thanks
Alex