Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

On 05/14/2012 06:13 AM, R. W. Tarara wrote:

1) This is the most difficult course to teach, but arguably the most
important.

2) Don't get carried away with your goals--pick two or three and
concentrate on those. It will be difficult enough.

3) If you do (2) the challenge is to prioritize and choose the most
appropriate goals, but that will be more or less a personal choice.

4) Using 'Themed' courses makes this easier.

Yes, having a _theme_ has definite advantages. It (a) helps
with the motivation, and (b) serves as a source of real-world
non-BS examples to look at.

The obvious downside is that the theme generally requires a
lot of non-physics learning along with the physics. This
does not bother me at all. I'm not a physics bigot. If the
other stuff is worth learning, let's go ahead and learn it.
Teaching physics half the time with good motivation and good
retention is waaay better than teaching physics 100% of the
time with poor motivation and minuscule retention.