Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

I am grateful to everyone who has contributed to the discussion about
the goals of a conceptual physics course. Despite the fact that I
haven't finished with the goals issue--I have some prioritizing and
perhaps some paring to do--I want to start thinking more about how best
to achieve them. My plan is to use a spiral approach in creating a plan
for the course; so I'll come back to the goals. Here is the current
list. I think there is some redundancy in it. I arranged the goals with
the general learning goals first, followed by learning goals specific to
physics. I am sure that some of you will recognize your own
contributions to the list. Thank you.
-----------------------------

As compared to where they were prior to the course, I would like
students who complete the Conceptual Physics course:

1. To be better readers, in particular, to have improved technical
reading skills. This includes not only enhanced capabilities of
comprehending written prose but also enhanced ability to interpret
quantitative information represented in various forms such as graphs,
tables, and diagrams.
2. To be better writers and speakers, in particular, to be better able
to mean what they say and say what they mean. This includes being able
to use diagrams, graphs, tables, and equations to communicate what they
mean.
3. To be able to use their hands, tools, and apparatus as applicable to
do things like assemble apparatus, make measurements, cause physical
phenomena to occur, and to take data.
4. To have better puzzle-solving skills. (To have improved analytical
thinking and abstract reasoning skills.)
5. To have improved mathematical skills.
6. To view, if not the course as a whole, at least some aspect of the
course, as a positive experience, especially in terms of personal
growth; in other words, to wind up with the sense that the course was
relevant, worthwhile, and satisfying. (A goal to strive for would be
that if the science requirement were reduced to a one-semester science
requirement that a majority of the students would take the second
semester as a free elective.)
7. To be more efficient learners by focusing some attention on how they
are learning. (Hunt for connections and disconnections, where the
disconnections help nail down the conditions under which the connections
hold true).
8. To be better at recognizing strengths, deficiencies and errors in
things like written reports, answers to questions, problem solutions,
laboratory apparatus setups, the manner in which a measurement is being
made, the approach to analysis of data; and to be better at editing,
amending, and improving such things. (Mention "checking work" on a
larger scale-scientists publish their work where it is subject to peer
review.)
9. Have had some more opportunities to be creative.
10. To be more familiar with the limitations of models and values. For
instance, to be aware of the conditions under which specific models
discussed in the course apply, and where they don't, and to be familiar
with the idea that a value typically is one parameter in a corresponding
distribution of values.
11. Have had more experience in using sketches/diagrams (including
sketches/diagrams that they themselves create for these purposes) to
arrive at predictions and explanations.
---------------------
12. To know some physics well enough to be able to use their knowledge
of physics to interpret data and to make some correct predictions and
explanations of physics phenomena, by means of and in terms of physics
models.
13. To be able to apply some of the knowledge and skills gained in the
physics course to other fields.
14. To gain some experience in applying skills they already have and use
in terms of figuring out how to use and get the most out of technology
and develop and implement strategies in games, to physics and learning.
15. Increase familiarity with the unity of physics, including the
interrelatedness of the ideas of physics with each other and the
importance and relevance of physics in the real world.
16. To be aware of the fact that if you ask questions of the natural
world, the natural world will give you answers. To be aware of what is
considered "knowing" as compared what is considered "knowing" in other
fields.