Re: [Phys-L] The great barrrier (was Proportional reasoning)

I'm not sure how this fits in, but is clear to me that for at least some students who rebel at using letters (and it may be just an aversion to letters for these students) that they are treating number symbolically; e.g. ultimately canceling it out when appropriate and never performing actulal arithmetic with the numbers (like adding 2 + 3 to get 5, they will cancel in the sense of (2/2 = 1) or 3+(-3)=0, operations you'd be able to do with symbols; but for some unknown reason to me, putting in a symbol that looks like an arabic numeral gets them past a barrier that using a latin letter fails to do.

I'd comment that using many graphing packages do not help as you often have to explicitly put in a number for a parameter in the formula you are plotting in order to get the computer/device to actually make the plot. I wonder if this is affecting the situation being discussed here to the detriment of flexibility in thinking for our students.

Joel R