Re: [Phys-L] [Phys-l] note-taking, or not

On 05/01/2012 12:14 PM, R. W. Tarara wrote:
Actually, IMO, one needs to be careful about Tablet PCs from a
pedagogical viewpoint. We have a Chemistry Professor here who runs
her class (Organic) entirely from her Tablet. She sits on the stage,
writing on the tablet for the entire class. Yes she asks and takes
questions, but she is fixed in that seat.

I don't see that as a problem with the tool, but rather
with how it is being used. Being rooted next to the tablet
is just as bad as being rooted next to the board.

Don't know about others,
but I'm moving around during class. Even in our (very) small
auditorium type classroom, I'm walking up and down the aisles (with
bowling ball in hand) much of the class.

You can't write on the board while walking around. This is
not a new or bigger problem with the tablet ... and in fact
it is *less* of a problem, because you could carry the tablet
around if you wanted to.
I'm not sure I would carry a tablet and a bowling ball
at the same time, but you get the idea ... :-)