From: "Anthony Lapinski" <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:12 AM
To: <phys-l@phys-l.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] note-taking, or not

I used to write all my notes on the board. Much work for me, and it
changed slightly for each class. Kids would copy all my notes. Much work
for them. More importantly, I would finish writing, talk more, do a demo,
and the "slow" kids would still be writing. Not the best way to learn
physics.

About a decade ago I decided to type of my complete notes and give them
out at the start of each topic. This works well for the vast majority of
my kids, but a few still prefer to write things down. I always put the
essentials on the board. In recent years I have developed peer instruction
questions for my lectures. It's more engaging and they are focused on me
and the physics concepts, not note-taking. Peer instruction forces them to
talk and makes them responsible for their own learning. It has transformed
how I teach and how students learn.

This all takes a very long time to do but is worth it in the end. There is
no replacement for an engaging physics teacher.