Re: [Phys-l] Big article in the last two years comparing lecture andactive engagement?

The classic article is the one by Hestenes et al. published in 1985:
"The initial knowledge state of college physics students", Halloun,
Hestenes, Am J Physics 53(11) Nov 1985.
They conclude that the learning is independent of the lecturer. This is
available on the web:
http://modeling.asu.edu/R&E/InitialKnowledge.pdf

There is also a more recent AJP article.
"The implications of a robust curriculum in introductory mechanics", Chance
Hoellwarth and Matthew J. Moelter, American Journal of Physics -- May 2011
-- Volume 79, Issue 5, pp. 540
Again they conclude that learning is independint of the professor, but
depends strongly on what is done in class, conventional lecturing vs
research based pedagogy.

The truism that the lecture system is where "the information flows from the
professor's notebook to the student's notebook without going through either
mind". This was given to me by a professor in undergraduate school, many
many years ago.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX