Re: [Phys-l] egg science

Physicists disagreeing over hard-boiling eggs! LOL
We, who prepare two or three dozen hard-boiled eggs for Passover have this down to a science. You simply drop your eggs into a pot of cold tap water with the cover mostly on (leave some space on top). You don't have to poke them or do anything to them at all. When the water starts boiling turn it off and let it sit with the cover on. After a half hour to an hour of no heat the eggs have cooked and you can either let the water cool down naturally or if you are in a hurry pour off the hot water and run the pot of eggs under the tap for a time to allow them to cool somewhat. No cracking, no breaking, no exploding; perfectly fine eggs for the Passover seder. The most time consuming part is shelling them.