Re: [Phys-l] drop a metal cylinder through a solenoid

http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/anti-capacitor.png

The diagram is approximately valid in the frame instantaneously
comoving with the bob. In this frame there is an electric field
(in addition to the magnetic field) ... in contrast to the lab
frame, where there is only a magnetic field.

<snip>

I suspect that's not entirely the explanation that was wanted,
but perhaps it's a start.

It's a lovely and very clear explanation! (I'm puzzled by why the list spends more time on politics, religion, and educational policy than on great physics like this. But I don't mind generous use of the delete button, and it's a big reason I get this list in digest mode rather than in single-message mode.)

Perhaps my only remaining question would be: How would you frame the explanation in the lab frame instead? In that frame we're maintaining a charge separation across a finite gap d by essentially the Hall effect. Can I think of that like a capacitor? If so, how do I get away with using the vacuum permittivity?
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363