Re: [Phys-l] not a monopoly on the news

The problem with the debate on global warming is that it is like astronomy.
You can't do an experiment to determine exactly what is going on. So people
shout at each other until another data point comes in. Then the various
political factions do not consider that some data points are merely adding
to the statistics and do not by themselves prove anything.

The careful science writers always qualify things by saying things like "the
more variable weather might be due to global warming". They will be careful
to point out that one particular event can not be traced back to global
warming.

It was my impression that the debates in astronomy could get much more
heated than debates in the experimental sciences. So similarly the debates
on global warming are also highly polarized. The main difference is that
astronomy does not yet have religious groups who are trying to deny the
models on the basis of their theology, but global warming does have such
groups. In addition astronomy does not have vested economic interests who
wish to promote a point of view that will help tham make bigger profits.

It was quite clear to me that JD was pointing out that various outlets are
using single data point to prove global warming, or ignoring the single data
point so as to not alienate their customers. Incidentally I heard an
interesting take on FOX news orientation. The slant that they produce is
purely for profit. In other words thay have found a formula which attracts
a large number of customers and also advertisers. This makes sense because
a number of their entertainment shows actually go the other way. I wonder
of the newspapers who published Dickens works did the same thing with
conservative editorials, while the Dickens stories were extremely liberal?

The probem of misuse of single pieces of data is a problem of science
education of the general public, and politicians in particular. But the
politicians will continue to do this if the general public is gullible. How
many of your students buy into these sorts of things on the basis of
statistically insufficient data?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX