Re: [Phys-l] Temperture profile in a graviational field

On 01/26/2012 10:38 AM, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

Consider an infinitely long insulated cylinder. There are two
insulated pistons placed far apart with some gas in between (say 1 km
apart, with 1 atm of N2 @ 300 K). This makes any processes adiabatic
within the tube adiabatic.

The word "adiabatic" is ambiguous. Sometimes the intended meaning
can be inferred from context, but in this case I'm not sure whether
it means "isentropic" or simply "thermally insulated". For now I
will assume it means *both* isentropic and thermally insulated. If
this is not what was intended, please clarify.

Also, given that the system (gas + pistons) is meant to be thermally
insulated from the rest of the world, it's not clear whether the two
pistons are meant to be thermally insulated from each other.

If I accelerate one piston inward (say at 9.8 m/s^2), there will be
an adiabatic compression at that end (and that compression will be
occurring faster and faster). The gas at that end will warm. In the
quasistatic limit, the gas throughout would be the same temperature,
but does a quasi-static approximation apply in this continuously
changing situation?

Two answers:

It is possible in principle for things to be quasi-static as well as
isentropic and thermally insulated. This implies that the pistons
accelerate slowly compared to dynamical timescales (e.g. round-trip
propagation of sound) but not so slowly that we need to worry about
leakage through the thermal insulation.

OTOH I doubt the example of 9.8 m/s/s is within the quasi-static limit.
I suspect it is much too fast.

I conclude there will a definite (and
continuously changing) temperature gradient -- hottest near the
moving "back piston", and coolest near the stationary "front piston".

Three answers:

1) In the quasi-static limit, the column of gas will look like a rigid
push-rod.
1a) if it started out isothermal it will remain isothermal.
1b) if it started out with some wacky non-equilibrium temperature
profile, it will keep that profile.

2) For fast acceleration, there will be heating due to compression.
The heating will not be confined to the region near the piston,
because *sound waves* will be emitted. To a good approximation,
an ordinary sound wave is considered both isentropic and thermally
insulated, i.e. we neglect dissipation due to viscosity and due
to thermal conductivity ... so the peaks of the pressure wave have
high temperature and the troughs have low temperature.

I could also pull out on the far side with the same sort of
acceleration. Same questions (but with cooling rather than warming,
of course). I conclude there will a definite (and continuously
changing) temperature gradient -- hottest near the "back piston", and
coolest near the moving "front piston".

Analogous question, analogous answers.

I could also move BOTH sides with the same acceleration (maintaining
a constant volume) , so that there would be a continued adiabatic
compression at one end and a continued adiabatic expansion at the
other. Could this be considered quasi-static, so that we can assume
the gas will relax to a uniform temperature, or does the fact that
the ends are continuously changing (accelerating) mean we might never
reach a quasi-static situation and the compression & expansion would
maintain a temperature gradient across the tube?

Again, it depends on timescales. There will be a timescale where
sound waves will be rattling around in the air column. On a longer
timescale the sound waves will dissipate ... but at this point we
will have violated several of the previously-made assumptions.

Of course, I could ALSO do this with a 1 km long tube mounted in a
spaceship accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2. Or do it with a 1 km long tube
standing on the earth. John Denker's previous analysis concludes
that we would indeed achieve a uniform temperature in any of these
cases.

I was discussing the /equilibrium/ state. Thermally insulating the
two ends of the system from each other and then disturbing things
pretty much guarantees a non-equilibrium situation.

FOLLOW-UP # 1: How would the analysis change if either or both of
the pistons was a thermal reservoir held at the original temperature
(eg 300 K), rather than an insulated piston?

That violates several of the previous assumptions. It would make
the problem even more complicated and even more ill-posed, because
there would be additional timescales in the problem, and you get
to decide which timescales are dominant, and which timescales you
are interested in.

FOLLOW-UP #2: For the one piston moving outward, at first the motion
is slow and we could treat this as a typical adiabatic expansion,
which cools the gas. But by the time the piston is moving very fast,
there will be essentially no molecules hitting the piston, and we
have approximately an adiabatic free expansion, which would NOT cool
the gas. Is the amount of cooling a function of the speed that the
piston is expanding? Presumably it must be. If could be interesting
to see what that function is.

OK.

Conversely at the other end (the pushing end) if the piston is going
fast enough to be supersonic, you get a /shock/ rather than ordinary
sound waves. A shock is rather well understood, albeit complicated.
It is guaranteed to be dissipative, violating many of the previously-
made assumptions.