[Phys-L] intermediate axis theorem

I'm looking for an intuitive argument for the intermediate-axis theorem (IAT), rather than a formal derivation via Euler's equations.

Recall that the IAT says that if you throw a book (taped closed) or tennis racquet into the air with spin, it will start tumbling about its intermediate principal axis, in contrast to the stable rotation observed about its large and small axes.

I don't expect an actual proof, but just a plausibility argument at the introductory level.Something to the effect of "It makes sense that rotation is not very stable about the intermediate axis because ..." or "It makes sense that rotation is quite stable about the large and small moments of inertia because ...."

Anyone have some ideas? -Carl

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363