Re: [Phys-L] "Electric current" does not mean "electron flow"

An oldie just discovered:

On 2002, Apr 22, , at 11:56, William Beaty wrote:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Larry Woolf wrote:

Bill's comments are in general excellent. But I take issue with one.

Aluminum is an electron conductor, not a hole conductor. It is used to dope
Si - to make it p-type.

That was from memory, from past PHYS-L discussions, that aluminum
conductivity is partly valance band (holes,) partly electrons. This has
nothing to do with semiconductor doping.

But am I misremembering? Which common metal has both hole and electron
conduction?

In ceramics, there is often more than one charge carrier that contributes to
the electrical conduction. Here, a term called the transference number is
used to define the fraction of the total conductivity that each type of
charge carrier contributes.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not an expert in this, but I was thinking
about particular ceramics which are known to exclusively be proton
conductors. I think they're insulators at room temperature, but become
proton conductors at a few tens or hundred degrees C above room temp.
Searching web on keywords +"proton conductor" +ceramic turns up a few
journal abstracts. More are found with +"ceramic solid electrolyte" +proton

Mmmm, both soda-lime, and borosilicate glasses become rather good conductors above the glass temperature -- these candidates for proton conductors? And I've asked this before, is fused silica a non-conductor?

bc

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L