Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: lunar craters

Reminds me of reports on the distribution of raindrop impacts. My search quickly reveals a v. technical paper on the correlation of turbulence and the drop distribution. So a search of lunar crater distribution results in a distribution discussion and roughly why. (inter alia)

bc thinks Poisson applies over small regions. [number not size]

p.s. remember: lotsa craters in craters.

are craters on the moon randomly distributed?

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=152882

Here's an article in which the Poisson distrib. is used as a test of the lack of latitude variation in the number. [square root of the mean number]

http://www.planetary.brown.edu/pdfs/2943.pdf

incds. size distrib. I only skimmed v. rapidly, so ...