Re: [Phys-L] lunar craters

On Dec 13, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I teach about the Earth and Moon in my astronomy course, and compare the
two surfaces. I believe the Earth has about 600 active volcanoes, while
the Moon has none. Earth has about 175 major impact craters, while the
Moon has...?

I searched online for the number of lunar craters at least 1 km across,
and found a wide range of "estimates" (up to one million). Wikipedia lists
major craters alphabetically, but there are too many for me to count.

there are 1546 named craters on Wikipedia. A csv file with all of these named craters, and their sizes, I've posted here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813623/craters.csv

Not sure if it is an accurate number, but it might be useful.

bb

--
Brian Blais
bblais@bryant.edu