Re: [Phys-L] MOOC proliferation

On 11/09/2012 01:22 PM, Paul Lulai wrote:
As a massive online course, students will be watching the video at
different times. If you have a class of 50, 500, or 5,000 students
online, you can't really pause the video at the point where they have
a question.

I'm playing by different rules. Just because students /can/ watch
the video at different times doesn't mean they must. I can perfectly
well play the video for the group, and pause it whenever I like.

Maybe this isn't the intended use, but they can't stop me from doing
it. The only hard part is admitting to myself that the canned video
is better than what I could have done on my own.

When something has good features and bad features, I always look for
ways to use the good features while circumventing or mitigating the
bad features.

Of course, anybody who wants to watch the video on their schedule
rather than mine is welcome to do that, too. A single tool can be
used in multiple ways.