Re: [Phys-L] show the checks

This has been ignored for a few days but jumped to the front of my attention today as I got an e-mail from a company that claimed it had software that could grade tests, including essay tests at a rate of over 60 per minute. With the increased pressure on my time a program like that is very tempting but I can't imagine a computer program that can do a scoring scheme that Dr. Denker outlines here.

As I think of my physics tests I think I am following this rather well. I have a beginning section that has students identify links (in chart form) between the quantity, symbol used in equations, the metric unit and if the quantity is vector or scalar in nature. All of the problems, even the conceptual (without numbers) ones are multiple points where students are required to make a "variable list" and an equation list that counts for half of the points. Even a "correct" answer without these gets at most half the points. Students continue to push against this. Today I used the first part of Dr. Denker's e-mail in class to reinforce this point. I hope he doesn't mind.

I've been doing this 30 years now. I can't claim to have won the battle but I haven't given up either and I have a long list of students who contact me to say "thanks" for making them work so hard this way.

My concern is after (for me) the recent increase in administrative paperwork, the expanding of my teaching load to 4 different classes per day in a 5 period day at the high school, how long until I break and do multiple guess tests as a way to maintain my sanity?

Thanks for allowing me a little time to vent...